Wednesday 10 June 2009

A Dream Deferred

My Uncle (Steve Spencer) wrote a book a few years ago on "Guyanese Identity and the Shadow of Colonialism". It was really exciting for the whole family as we were so proud to have a published writer among us but also because he dedicated it to my grand-parents (his parents-in-law -statistically I wonder how often that happens?) which was very touching. The subject of this book is incredibly important to my Grandfather and, by default, me too!

In the front of the book he posted a poem by Langston Hughes (the poem's title was also used for the name of the book). I think it's quite powerful - maybe you'll like it:


A DREAM DEFERRED

What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
Like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
Like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
Like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?


Langston Hughes 1902-1967

1 comment:

  1. what a great poem! and so you should be proud of your grandfathers achievments!

    x nadine

    ReplyDelete